Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mystery Sparrow in Central Park

So on today's walk through the park I saw a mystery sparrow. I got these pictures but still can't ID it, I think it's either a fox sparrow or a song sparrow. EDIT: The NYC bird list has come through, and I have received quite a few responses saying that this is definitely a song sparrow. In this area, fox sparrows (which will apparently be coming through in a month or so) are bigger and more rufous (redder) and the head is more patch-y, not stripe-y like this one. Thanks to everyone who helped!

1 comment:

  1. Update: The NYC bird list has come through, and I have received quite a few responses saying that this is definitely a song sparrow. In this area, fox sparrows (which will apparently be coming through in a month or so) are bigger and more rufous (redder) and the head is more patch-y, not stripe-y like this one. Thanks to everyone who helped!

    ReplyDelete