Tuesday, October 9, 2012

AMNH Walk



Well, today I took Claratin.  So the walk was a tiny bit surreal.  A little misty/drizzly, a little surreal, and a lot gorgeous!  There was quite a bit of activity, even at the Columbus Circle entrance!  Yes, there were several warblers flitting about right by the entrance, on the ground and low branches.

Black-throated Blue

Yellow-rumped Warbler
 At the lake this immature double-crested cormorant greeted me.  Later the whole group saw it in the water.
Double-crested Cormorant
 We started at the upper lobe and went around to Tupelo and then up to turtle pond.  There were yellow rumps everywhere!  Several thrushes, white-breasted nuthatches, loads of sapsuckers.
Hermit Thrush

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Common Yellow-throat
 And a bunch of sparrows!  There was one section of the lawn by turtle pond that was irresistabl to sparrows.
Song Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow
 After splitting off from the walk to head home, I meandered through the field between the marionette cottage and the upper lobe.  Mostly because I saw a bunch of waxwings fly in.  And guess who else I saw?
Black-throated Green Warbler

Yes, that's right, this little lovely!  Oh, he was gorgeous, all right!  :-)
Black-throated Green Warbler
 Down to the upper lobe, where I saw some birds I had missed earler - the goldfinch and the chickadee - and some new ones too.
Goldfinch

Black-capped Chickadee
 Besides the winter wren that gave me a nice look but not a picture, I saw these purple (I'm fairly sure) finches.  There were at least 2 males, I didn't notice any females.  It was a lovely (although damp) day.
Purple finch (?)

Purple finch (?)


No comments:

Post a Comment