Friday, October 5, 2012

AMNH make-up make-up walk


Today was the make-up walk.  First the regular walk got cancelled due to rain.  Then the make-up walk got rescheduled due to rain.  Today, it is not raining, and we are going!  :-)  It was a great day to be out birding.  Not only was the weather nice, but the birds were active and frisky and everywhere.  We started out with a bang, which is to say, with this scarlet tanager!

Scarlet Tanager
 In the little field just past that little stream and bridge there were birds everywhere.  Blue-headed vireos, black-throated blue warblers, parulas, yellow-rumps, and on and on.  Sadly the only decent picture I got is this one, and I'm not even really sure what it is.
Mystery Bird
 At the upper lobe we saw this wood thrush.  I don't know why it's fluffed up like that.  It wasn't grooming, but maybe it was thrown by the crowd of happy birders ooh-ing and aah-ing over it.
Wood Thrush
 A red-breasted nuthatch came over, there were a couple of white-breasted also.
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Oh, and there were kinglets everywhere!  Upper lobe, streamlet, it seemed like just about everywhere we looked we would see one.  
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
 This northern parula was quite happy bathing in the streamlet.  It was there for a while, I don't know why my camera was not able to get a decent picture!  Maybe I need to play around with the settings some more...........
Northern Parula
 This black-throated blue was right by us.  It's actually a problem sometimes when little flitty birds are too close, it's just about impossible to get them in the camera frame.  What a great problem to have!  :)
Black-throated Blue Warbler
 This towhee would not show its face.  When I was growing up we had a dog who would try to hide by hiding just his head under the table, on the theory that if he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him.  I think this towhee might be doing the same thing.......
Eastern Towhee
 A palm warbler in the grass, looking pretty.  This was about it for the regular walk.
Palm Warbler

It was so pretty I went back to the upper lobe before heading home.  I stayed for almost an hour, because it was so great there!  I thought I saw a Nashville warbler........
Nashville Warbler
 I did!  Check out that eyering!  Blue(ish)/Grey head! Yellow under its tail!  Yes, it was not cooperative, but it was there.  
Nashville Warbler
 Also this brown thrasher, the wood thrush, and a house wren.  And a female grosbeak!
Brown Thrasher
 A few waxwings even came over to say hello.  I still think of them as motorcycle racers.
Cedar Waxwing
 And the reason I stayed here for so long.  A chat!  Yes, definitely.  Very soon after my arrival it hopped out into the open, looked around, puffed out its chest, hopped a bit, and then, as I was raising the camera......... Well, you can guess what happened.  Back into the underbrush!  He came out every 20 minutes or so, and I did eventually get a show that includes him in the frame. What a day!
Yellow-breasted Chat



No comments:

Post a Comment