Saturday, October 20, 2012

Afternoon at the lake

This afternoon we headed over to a big lake, and went around it looking for cool birds.  There were plenty to choose from!  First, on the way we saw a bunch of weavers, maybe some canaries, and this gorgeous sunbird.

Marico Sunbird
 Another malachite kingfisher!  I am trying to see so many of them, and get such good looks, that I am tired of them because it will probably be quite some time before I see them again.  So far I am not even close to being tired of them.  So beautiful!
Malachite Kingfisher with Fish
 I also cannot get enough of the little bee-eaters.  They are really everywhere, and they are so striking. This one gave us a great view!
Little Bee-eater
 Hoopoes!  I wish I could get a good picture of these in good light, they are somewhat iridescent and look quite different in the right light!
Red-billed Woodhoopoe
 Among the many little herons, sandpipers, and assorted other water birds was this yellow-billed egret. Bigger than a snowy, smaller than a great.
Yellow-billed Egret
 Behold the mighty hunter.  :-)
Pied Kingfisher with Fish

Juvenile Saddle-billed Stork

Barred Owlet



No comments:

Post a Comment