Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mystery Bird in Central Park - the Oven



[ Edit: Mystery Solved!  Many birders have chimed in that this is a female red-winged blackbird.  My field guide does not show the face to have any orange-ish tinge around their face so I foolishly passed that page right by.  Although looking at the text, it does mention that some females show a red tinge.  Many thanks to everyone who took a look and responded! ]

----------------------
I saw this bird in the ramble in Central Park at the oven today.  I have no idea what it is.  I have been through 2 field guides, and have not been able to narrow it down too much.  These pictures have been cropped and some have been sharpened.  No color or contrast has been changed.

It face reminds me of a varied thrush or a blackburnian warbler.  It was about thrush-sized.

Its chest and belly are strongly streaked.

Its back reminds me of a sparrow, although it was larger than a sparrow.


Its beak reminded me of an oriole's beak.

I would love to hear ideas about what this bird might be.  :-)



2 comments:

  1. Looks like a young female Red-winged Blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would agree that this is a female Red-winged Blackbird.

    Hope this helps!

    Pixie.

    ReplyDelete