Tuesday, October 4, 2011

AMNH walk, with hawk and hummingbird


Very early in today's walk we saw this Cooper's hawk eating a pigeon at Tanner Springs.  It took us a while to figure out why it was so quiet -- nothing like a Cooper's hawk to keep the bird chatter down!


From there, we slowly made our way over to Turtle Pond.  Along the way we saw several black and white warblers

A red-eyed vireo

A few red-bellied woodpeckers

This gorgeous pine warbler

And many others that were too shy for my camera.  I'm particularly sad about the black-throated green.  I don't see those very often and they are so gorgeous!  Oh well, another day..........

At Turtle Pond we saw a male common yellow-throated warbler, but he eluded us except for brief glimpses.  This female was not quite as shy, at least at first.  She sure disappeared quickly though!

After admiring the gadwalls we went up to the castle and came down through Shakespeare garden, where this hummingbird made our day extra-special.

After leaving the group I headed down towards Columbus Circle.  My Bonus Bird for the day was this black-crowned night heron.  I haven't seen one of these in a while, so I was really happy to see it!  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment