Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Twitching a Hummingbird


Although I don't really think of myself as a twitcher, or a bird-chaser, or a rarity-seeker, I must admit that I was happy to go to the American Museum of Natural History to see this gorgeous hummingbird.  What a treat during winter!  Apparently it is probably a rufous hummingbird, although it is a bit of an open question.  


After spending some time with the hummingbird I went into the park and by Tanner's Spring saw this red-tailed hawk hunting.

It looks like a juvenile from the tail.

This pair of northern shovelers were circling around each other in a very tight little circle.  My guess is that they are pair-bonding.  Duck flirting!  :-)

I found the pet memorial Christmas tree in the ramble, but there were too many people around to get a decent picture.  I love that tree!

Okay, I have seen squirrels beg from tourists many times, but this is ridiculous!  I don't thing the squirrel even wants some of the hawk's pigeon.........

This was a different hawk, an adult.

It's a great day that starts with a hummingbird and includes two perched hawks.  This brown creeper coming right over was a nice way to end the walk!





No comments:

Post a Comment