Friday, September 21, 2012

The day the grosbeaks were everywhere


What a strange day!  The weather was absolutely gorgeous, so I went off to the park to gallivant about for a while.  It was not particularly birdy.  Except for the grosbeaks.  They were everywhere, and not hiding!  Oh, and brown thrashers.  Also pretty much everywhere.  Skulky though.  At the upper lobe, I saw this lovely black-and-white, who actually flew almost into me, he was so close.  I had to back up to get a picture.  
Black-and-white Warbler
There was also a mystery flycather, who was backlit the whole time until........
Mystery Flycatcher
And this red-eyed vireo.  Then there was a grosbeak interlude.  By the jewelweed on the path towards the streamlet, there were some grosbeaks hanging out with serious photographers, and one hummingbird who was much shier than the grosbeaks were.   My picture of this incident is, of course, of a red-eyed vireo.
Red-eyed Vireo
 Overy by azalea pond I found a Cooper's hawk, which I haven't seen in quite some time.  Yay!  It had something that it considers tasty, we could not agree on what it was.
Cooper's Hawk
 At the oven this hummingbird posed like a boxer.  Which was appropriate, there are many hummingbird fights each day now!
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 Also a pair of red-breasted nuthatches were hanging around in the pine tree there.
Red-breasted Nuthatch
 And, of course, grosbeaks!
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
 It was a long and mostly warbler-free day.  Until I found a few of them on my way back to the upper lobe.  This common yellowthroat caught my eye.
Common Yellowthroat
 A maggie, my only one of the day.
Magnolia Warbler
 I am a little in love with redstarts when they fan their tail.  They've got serious style!
American Redstart
 A bit later this wood thrush was feasting.
Wood Thrush
 This picture is a bit blurry but I still love it!
Red-eyed Vireo
 It's a bit sad that this is the best picture I got of a brown thrasher today.  I mean, I saw a zillion of them.  Sometimes even perched like this but in much better light!  Sadly they are much faster than I am.  Oh well!  For a not-so-birdy day I felt like I got to see a lot.  :-)
Brown Thrasher


No comments:

Post a Comment