Monday, September 24, 2012

A beautiful but non-birdy day

OK, I think it's possibly that I'm getting spoiled.  I mean, yes, wel all know that I am already spoiled in some ways.  But I mean spoiled in the "seeing lots of birds in Central Park" way.  Today felt like a gorgeous day with not many birds.  However I did see four kinds of woodpeckers and a whole bunch of winter wrens scampering about, both of which are pretty special.

I know what this means.  I'm not a beginner any more.  I'm intermediate.  I can't deny it.  Being a beginner is always filled with such joy and newness everywhere.  Being advanced has its own joy with knowledge and familiarity.  Being intermediate is a long slog.  I will try to refrain from too much complaining!

Things were quiet at the upper lobe, but this rose-breasted grosbeak came out for a little while.  I love this look, halfway between the juvenile and adult plumage.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
 I did see a couple of maggies, but they were really few and far between.  I know fall migration is more spread out than spring, but still, it seem pretty light this year so far.
Magnolia Warbler
 Wrens!  It was a winter wren bonanza of winter wrens along the streamlet.  Which I think may be called the gill.  It was so great to see these teeny pretty wrens scampering about!  I saw one wren briefly at the upper lobe, but these guys were all over.
Winter Wren
 Someone very kind pointed out this black-throated blue near the wrens, and I'm very glad she did.  Thank you whoever you were!
Black-throated Blue Warbler
 At the oven, there was one hummingbird.  Then two.  I stretched out in the sun because I was kind of chilly and it was empty, and had a wonderful 10-15 minutes warming up.  During that time 3-4 hummingbirds buzzed me from both sides, storming the oven!  It was hilarious!  There was also a maggie in the conifer, beautiful but backlit.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 Hairy woodpecker!  Look at that beak!  A hairy looks basically just like a downy except bigger and with a larger beak.  I see downies all the time, but not many hairys.  So, can you really tell them apart in a picture just from the beak size?
Hairy Woodpecker
 Yes.  Yes you can.
Downy Woodpecker
 At the upper lobe again heading home, where this white-throated sparrow was my good-bye bird.  Nice to see them again, they should be getting fancier soon!  :-)
White-throated Sparrow


No comments:

Post a Comment