Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Post AMNH Walk, more gorgeousness

After the group headed to the museum, I headed to turtle pond, grabbing a hot dog and a Diet Coke along the way.  And a waffle, that was the first time I saw the waffle cart with no line!  I impressed the guy by knowing that in Belgium they are an afternoon treat, not a breakfast item.  It was delicious (sweeter than I expected) but I could not eat more than half of it!  Time to walk it off.  :-)

Sitting on the rock at the end was uneventful, so I headed up the path to the castle.  First this common yellowthroat scampered along the edge of the bushes.  A black-and-white came through but did not slow down enough for my camera.
Common Yellowthroat
 This warbling vireo played up in the trees.
Warbling Vireo
 An eastern kingbird came by briefly.  I was hoping it would stay nearby and hunt, but it moved on.  I love watching their hawking flights.
Eastern Kingbird
 To the oven!  Where I saw this osprey, probably migrating, fly over.  I thought for a second I saw a bunch more hawks, but it turned out they were swifts.  
Osprey
 This grosbeak was posing right in front of us!  She even flitted up to a bare branch, and then back down to the tops of the jewelweed again.  Thanks lovely lady!
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 
 Of course I'm really here for the hummingbirds.  There were 5-6 here, getting into hummingbird spats and chasing each other around.  I got buzzed a few times.  It was awesome!
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 A red-breasted nuthatch came by, investigated that one branch, and left.
Red-breasted Nuthatch
 Taking a break from hummingbird sword-fights.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 A magnolia warbler's vulnerable underbelly.  It was directly above me, but I didn't want to get up to get a better angle.
Magnolia Warbler
 A flicker came by and gave me a great view - sometimes picking a spot and sitting quietly and moving slowly is the best way to see shy birds.
Northern Flicker
 This yellow warbler is the first one I've seen this season.  Hello Handsome!
Yellow Warbler
 Heading over to the upper lobe to meet Jack, I saw this green heron at azalea pond.  I mean, I saw it because I noticed 3 other birders watching it.  If not for that I probably would have passed right by it.
Green Heron
 Hahahaha, grumpy night heron!
Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron



No comments:

Post a Comment