Saturday, May 14, 2011

Great Swamp Day! Part 1

Headed to the Great Swamp with AMNH.  The bus was full, and the weather was like that song - Heavy Clouds, No Rain.  It was a good time, I love these trips - no worries, mostly just look at where the experts point, take some pictures, enjoy nature.  What's not to like?  This time there were a few people who were helping me to get good angles for pictures, which was wonderful!  If any of you end up reading this, Thank You!  :-)

This yellow warbler started off our day, singing and being handsome for us.

This is some sort of frog.  The expert told us what kind, but I don't remember that at all.

A blue-gray gnat catcher teased us for quite some time before coming out into the open.

This white-breasted nuthatch was a ways off, I'm amazed you can tell what it is in the picture.

The red-eyed vireo stayed around for a while but I nearly missed it altogether, I was distracted by who knows what.  Anyway, I did see it, but this was sadly the best picture.

This was not the first veery we saw, but it was the first one that my autofocus accepted as a subject.  Someday I'll probably get a real camera.

Look out!  A snake in the grass!

At lunch I watched this adorable and quite bright goldfinch.

There were tree swallows and barn swallows swooping all around us during our picnic, I did get some pictures of blue blurs but had to wait for one to land before getting a nice shot.  This tree swallow briefly agreed to a photo session.

A black vulture soared overhead at the end of the picnic.

This barn swallow enjoyed showing off its rich colorful plumage as we entered the second place.  Gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment