Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fall Migration is On!


There was lots of activity at the upper lobe today, including a possible worm-eating warbler.  I thought I saw one, but I can't have much confidence in that.  Because the few pictures are actually much more consistent with a red-eyed vireo.  Did I just see a sort of stripey head and get excited?  Yeah, actually that sounds possible.  But others saw one there, so maybe they just confused both me and my camera.  Also possible.  Anyway, here's a terrible picture of a red-eyed vireo!

Red-eyed Vireo
 And a chat!  The stories were true!  :-)  There was also a wren, but the wren defeated my camera whereas the chat practically loitered and posed.  I mean, for a chat.
Yellow-breasted Chat
 As I tried to get another look at the worm-eating-warbler, other birds did their best to distract me.  Like this mystery flycatcher.
Mystery Flycatcher
 Ant this thrush!
Mystery Thrush
 And this different mystery flycatcher!  I clearly wasn't going to find that other bird again, so I headed off towards the oven.
(Different) Mystery Flycatcher
 On the way, along the streamlet I saw this American redstart preening.  She is making sure her tail is in prime fanning condition.
American Redstart
 This house finch came by to have a drink.
House Finch
 And so did a bunch of waxwings!  They are quick in the water.  They do not linger or lounge about.  They are all business, and then they are outta there!
Cedar Waxwing
 At the oven there were some grosbeaks looking lovely.  OK looking a bit odd with their beaks wide open the whole time.  But lovely nonetheless!
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
 This male is coming into his breeding finery.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
 A sweet peck on the cheek.
Rock Pigeons
 Back along the path, a waterthrush bobbing its tail like crazy.
Northern Waterthrush
 There were several black-and-whites, mostly going too fast to be anything but a blur in the camera.
Black-and-white Warbler
 Hummingbird!  Yay!
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 And another thrush, I think this one is a veery.  A lovely day!
Mystery Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment