Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hummingbird with my Honey


Today Jack and I went on a medium-length birding walk in Central Park, starting at the upper lobe, where we saw a juvenile black-crowned night heron pretending to be a duck.  Until it started hunting, when it started to look distinctly like a heron.
Black-crowned Night Heron
 I'm sure every adult heron has a story like this one........ the one that got away.
Fish escaping juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron
 There were a couple of warblers nearby, but only this black-and-white allowed a photo.
Black-and-white Warbler
 A mystery thrush caught my eye, I think it's a veery, but I'm not very sure.  Hahahaha, see what I did there?
Mystery Thrush
 This American redstart posed for a while by the water, making sure I got her good side.  She loves to fan her tail!
American Redstart
 This common yellowthroat teased me, clearly enjoying my frustration.
Common Yellowthroat
 Hummingbird!  It was such a joy to see this little lady.  We sat on the rocks at the oven for a while, and she came around every once in a while.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
This bird confused me until I remembered my rule - if a bird confuses you, check to see if it might be a female red-winged blackbird.  I have found this to be an excellent rule.
Red-winged Blackbird (Female)
 A female common yellowthroat was around also, although usually it was quite difficult to tell.
Common Yelowthroat (Female)
 As we were leaving we saw this monarch butterfly with each wing torn right in half.  So sad!  But also so beautiful.
Monarch Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment