Thursday, May 17, 2012

Waxwings!


Another pretty day, another pretty walk!  I started by circling the pond (2 black-crowned night herons, a red-tailed hawk flying over, a couple of common yellow-throats) and visiting the oriole's nest.  It was still there, looking just fine.
Baltimore Oriole's nest
 One of the oriole's came over and spent some time preening nearby, happily basking in the sun after the rain of the past few days.
Baltimore Oriole
 Up to the ramble, where it was quiet until I got to the point.  I love the coy attitude of this female common yellow-throat, with the classic over-the-shoulder glance.
Common Yellowthroat (female)
 My first blackpoll warbler of the season!  I also saw a Northern parula, a Canada warbler, a few redstarts, and a mystery warbler.  Actually looking at the book, the mystery warbler was likely a female magnolia.  I wish I had gotten a better look at it and a decent picture!
Blackpoll Warbler
 By the beehive this oriole showed off its hopping ability.
Baltimore Oriole
 A bit further around was a cluster of happiness.  This female black-throated blue.........
Black-throated Blue Warbler (female)
 .... and this yellow-rump along with a couple of redstarts tried to distract me from........
Yellow-Rumped Warbler
 .... waxwings!  I was so glad to see these guys again.
Cedar Waxwing
 On the way home, these starling chicks almost fell out of their cavity in their eagerness for a feeding. Looks like they are about ready to fledge.  :-)
European Starlings


No comments:

Post a Comment