Monday, April 30, 2012

European Goldfinch in the Ramble

Well, today was weird.  I mean, it was destined to be weird once I took Claratin.  Anyway I headed out to the park, walked through Strawberry Fields which was quite pretty.  Then through the ramble, also quite pretty.  There have been reports of lots of warblers, some quite unusual, but I didn't see them.  The only warblers I saw were yellow-rumped (love!) and lots of waterthrushes.  They were everywhere!

But I did see something unusual, which confused me quite a bit until someone id'd it from a picture.  A European Goldfinch!  Here is the back of the bird, near the top of the picture:

European Goldfinch

Here's the front, showing face pattern that confused me:
European Goldfinch

I loved seeing this guy!
European Goldfinch

Okay, now on to the normal little lovelies.  This yellow-rumped warbler came out into the sun for me, showing off its gorgeous markings.  This one was at the upper lobe.
Yellow-rumped Warbler

This one got the idea, posing for me at the oven.
Yellow-rumped Warbler
This waterthrush was lovely in the sun near azalea pond.
Waterthrush

It chased away this swamp sparrow, who didn't go far.
Swamp Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment