Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A quiet day in the park

It was chilly and windy today, and the park was pretty quiet.  On my way up to meet the AMNH group, I saw a few barn swallows swooping madly over the lake.  I also saw a black-crowned night heron flying in, but I couldn't find where it landed.  It looked like it was about to land, but either it continued on or it was just better at hiding than I was at seeking!
Barn Swallow
 At the group meeting spot, the robin was on her nest.  There are definitely eggs, we saw her turning them.  I couldn't count them, I just got a hint of blue.  :-)
Robin
 Soon we spotted our first yellow-rumped warbler!  These are still all over the place, still looking to me like leftover members of miscellaneous 80's rock bands.
Yellow-rumped Warbler
 We saw a few towhees, this one was sitting and singing for us for a few minutes.
Eastern Towhee
 A few goldfinches were singing briefly, then flying away, then flying back, then flying away, then flying back........
American Goldfinch
 A pretty palm warbler, who gave us a great view and then flitted away from my camera.  We heard a blue-winged warbler a few times but never saw it.  Well, most of us never saw it.  One person did, but sadly that person was not me.  Alas!
Palm Warbler
 These turtles were just too pretty to pass up.  I think the big one is a painted turtle, it's nice to see them.  The red-eared sliders have pretty much taken over the park turtle-wise, which is too bad.
Turtles
 Another yellow-rump, posing pretty on the point.  :-)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
 We saw a few hermit thrushes also.  This one took its cue from the palm warbler, giving us great close-up views that were just too brief for my camera to first find the bird and then focus.  Oh well, it was still great!  Overall a quiet day in the park but still a nice walk.
Hermit Thrush



No comments:

Post a Comment