Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wandering around on my own


Today I'm back to my normal habits - wandering around on my own, seeing what I see.  As much as I love having a guide, I learn more when I'm on my own, and usually find something interesting.  My plan was to basically follow yesterday's path, and hopefully see the swallows in better light for better pictures.  First I remembered to take a picture of the island where the brown boobies are.  I know, they are not really visible, but they are all over that island!
Brown Booby Island
Again the chestnut-sided warbler.  I am getting seriously spoiled here.
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Again the parakeets came through, and again they were extremely difficult to see and take pictures of!  I can't see them in the viewfinder, I just have to point the camera, click away, and hope for the best.
Orange-Chinned Parakeet
Here's the female Cherrie's tanager, I like them better than the males.
Cherrie's Tanager, female
What do you suppose this is?
Another Mystery Warbler
It was motmot-palooza!  There were two hopping around, perching, flying just a touch, perching, hopping some more.  I almost went back and woke Jack up, but figured by the time we got back they would be gone anyway.
Blue-crowned Motmot
Down to the beach it was quiet, not a lot of birds, and no sloth.  I looked for the hawk again but didn't see it.  On the beach, a few frigates flew over, including this one that was palling around with a turkey vulture.  It was cool to see two black and white birds soaring above looking so completely different.
Magnificent Frigatebird and Turkey Vulture
The swallows were a no-show.  :-(  Heading back up this kiskadee looked so cute!
Great Kiskadee
Walking back up the path instead of the road, I saw the hawk!  It was not easy to find it in the foliage (it's much easier in Central Park in the winter than in a rain forest) but I did manage to get a clear-ish view.
Broad-winged Hawk
And a sloth!  This guy was hanging out pretty close to the ground, and he was on the move.  I even got to point him out to new people who were going by in the golf cart, that was a first, usually the golf cart guys are pointing stuff out to me!  :-)
Sloth!
The Baltimore oriole, looking as gorgeous as usual.
Baltimore Oriole
Hahahahaha, I love this picture!  It totally looks like the little bird is sitting on the big bird's back.  Love it!
Mystery Large bird and Mystery Small bird
There were lots of warblers and vireos in this tree, and I loved these two, although I don't know what kind they are.
Mystery Birds
This pigeon was in the trees by the viewing platform, one of the very few pigeons I saw in Costa Rica.
Pale-vented (?) Pigeon
At breakfast the staff showed us this fron that was hanging out on the marble wall.  We had walked right past it, completely missing it!  They called it a gladiator frog, and looking at the book that's probably what it is.  A nice ending to a great morning of wildlife.
Gladiator Tree Frog?


No comments:

Post a Comment