Monday, September 26, 2011

AMNH Walk


Today was another AMNH lunchtime walk, with a different leader, because Paul was gallivanting about somewhere.  The substitute did a great job, he was extremely knowledgeable, and his approach was very similar to Paul's - inclusive, respectful, helpful, not ego-driven, etc.  He and Paul both help me to think about the kind of birder I want to be, which is enormously helpful.

This parula got our walk started nicely.  It hid in the leaves for a while, and then stepped out into the light oh-so-briefly.  We were again lucky with the weather.  Okay, it was still cloudy and super-humid with a heavy supply of bugs, but at least it wasn't actually raining.

Then at the upper lobe we saw a grey-cheeked thrush!  It was my first look at a grey-cheeked (that I know of anyway) and it was not long enough.  I couldn't even get a blurry picture, it was that quick!  Oh well.  At least I know it's out there somewhere...... or was, briefly.  I consoled myself with this flycatcher.  Everyone went over to look at it and try to ID the flycatcher, I have no idea what they decided (if anything) because I wandered off hoping to find the grey-cheeked thrush again.  Which did not work.  Oh well, someday........

This wood thrush came by to brighten our day, thrush-wise.  There were thrushes everywhere!  A whole bunch of Swainson's, one grey-cheeked (too briefly for my taste), a few wood thrushes.  No veery or hermit thrush today.

This yellow bellied sap sucker came over.  In this picture you can see it's starting to get just a touch of red on its throat.

As we headed over to the ramble this female black-throated blue came by, demanding lunch.  So imperious!

At the ramble this pine warbler was true to its name, hanging out in the pine tree.

And there were brown thrashers everywhere!  What do you think about this one's beak - is it just that color, or has it been into something gooey or stain-y?   Looks like blueberries to me!

Also I saw this mystery bird.  Is it just a common yellow-throat with some yellow on its wings/tail?

And something trying to start a little mini-wingbar?  Some sort of vireo?  I still can't tell the difference between a vireo beak and a warbler beak.

I've been through my books and can't figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment