Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer at the Pond

Back to the dentist means back to the park!  It was so hot I ended up just walking around the pond and heading home.  I guess birding season is turning into museum season!

After entering at 5th Ave, I climbed up the rock and right off the bat saw this night heron.  I tried to be slick, but I think he knew I was watching him.  He seemed a bit on edge but mostly okay with it.

Then walked over to the waterfall, watching these beautiful dragonflies on the way.  I mean, there were other less beautiful dragonflies as well, but I tried to focus on these little beauties instead.

Coming back from the waterfall, spotted this night heron (I'm not sure if it's the same one or a different one) across from the stone wall at the base of those stairs.  Lots of tourists were not seeing it.  I decided to let them not see it, they would most likely scare it away.

Next I saw the goslings, those crazy teenagers!  They are looking really funny right now.

You can see they are starting to get the classic markings.  They grow up so quickly!

On the bridge I saw this cutie downy woodpecker, just pecking away, shaded by the tree he's in.

And in the next tree over, there were 2 or 3 female redwing blackbirds.  I love these ladies, they are gorgeous!  It took some coaxing, but eventually one did show me her face.

Then over to the edge and crossing over the adventurous way, this frog was on the other side of the fence.  I hear them once in a while but almost never see them, so this was a treat for me.

Then I headed back home, all sweaty with my mouth still only half functional, to continue recovering indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment