Friday, June 4, 2010

Blue Heron on the Potomac

Today Jack and I took the train down to DC to visit my family, and we had oodles of time to drive to dinner.  No traffic!  It was actually just a bit weird.  So driving along the Potomac, we stopped at a scenic outlook pull-off to take a look.  The view was significantly blocked by trees, but there were still some spots where we could see the river.  And along came a large bird, flying up the river!  It looked like a pelican to me at first, with the shape and movement of the wings, but that made no sense at all, and I didn't get a good look at the head.  I called Jack over quickly so he could take a look, and the bird flew over the trees.  I thought we had lost it, but I scanned the far shore and saw a great blue heron down there!  He walked around on the shore for a while, he started out in the water like he was fishing but pretty quickly went onto the land, I don't know why.  It was a special thing to see on our way down!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment