Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Warm April day at Rocky Gap

Sometime in 2020 we went to Rocky Gap state park, and it was gorgeous!  So on a warm spring day, we decided to give it another go.  It was just as gorgeous this time, with an added plus - the bathrooms were open!  Yay!!!!!

Here's the ebird checklist:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S132699116

We basically parked by the building with the bathrooms, and walked along the edge of the lake, and followed the lake loop trail for a while.  The trail is 5-6 miles long, and we are building back up to that, but today we just went as far as felt good and then turned around.

First off, scanning the lake I was a little sad there wasn't anything to see, but then a loon popped up quite nearby!  It was underwater when I started my scan!  Definitely my best sighting of a loon ever, and I think the first time in breeding plumage.  Talk about fancy!  




Then I noticed a group of 4 cormorants on the lake, so that was nice.


Going towards the trail start (the bridge) there were some other ducks, one that I figured out later was a ruddy duck, and the others, well, my best guess is greater scaup.  Hard to know if they are greater or lesser, I looked at the guides, and that's my best guess.




On the trail, we heard plenty, and saw a little!  Not much in the way of spring migrants, mostly resident birds.  But right by the bridge Jack spotted a groundhog, and on our way back he found a snake!  It looked like a garter snake about 2 feet long to me, but let's be honest, I am far from a snake expert.  It was so cool!  

This was a really nice place, with really nice people on the trails etc.  I would guess it gets crowded as it gets warmer, so I don't know if it will be for us during busy season, but for right now it's pretty ideal.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment