Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nobody expects a great blue heron


Well I took the new camera to the park, on different settings, to see what happened.  It feels like the start of a long period of learning and experimenting, I hope I get a decent handle on it before going to Costa Rica!  Oh well, the pictures will almost certainly be better with this camera, so there's really no down side.  Overall I had the same problems with autofocus as with the superzoom - it doesn't like to focus on the bird.  Also the depth of field is much smaller, which I love if the camera manages to focus on the bird....... Sometimes of course it's not the AF at all, it's my hand movement.  I suspect there is plenty of room for improvement on several fronts.  :-)

Anyway I mostly took pictures of common birds, and I am quite happy with the results.  I happily spent a while with a juvie red-tailed hawk learning to hunt, mostly lunging around clumsily and wishing the squirrels and birds would just stay still!  Hahahaha, it was pretty funny to watch, and it's fun for a hawk to buzz me.
Red-Tailed Hawk, Juvenile

Red-Tailed Hawk, Juvenile
Red-Tailed Hawk, Juvenile
As I was on my was out, I was surprised to notice this great blue heron at the upper lobe.  Is it heron week?  I ~love~ heron week!
Great Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron

And here are the pictures of others that I liked.  I have lots to learn, but I'm quite happy so far!

Squirrels

White-throated Sparrow

American Goldfinch

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Cardinal, Male

Northern Cardinal, Female 
Black-capped Chickadee

Blue Jay


Blue Jay
American Goldfinch




No comments:

Post a Comment