Sunday, January 27, 2013

Herons at the Pond


Today I ventured out for the first time in a while, heading to the pond basically to stretch my legs and practice with my camera.  So much practice is still needed!  Anyway, I was expecting lots of ducks, and hoping for hawks.  As I was walking along the edge of the frozen section, I was thinking that I wouldn't be seeing the black-crowned night herons that day, surely they wouldn't be around the pond when it was this frozen.
Black Crowned Night Heron

Boy was I wrong!  As I was walking along this black-crowned night heron flew in and landed just above me and ahead of me, and then it hunkered down and stayed still the whole time I was there.
Black Crowned Night Heron
 Even when this great blue heron flew in a couple of circles over the pond and settled into a pine tree!
Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron
 This guy was thrilling to see, he gave me quite a show flying circles over the pond, and hanging out in the tree for a while.  Then he was off, maybe heading up to the upper lobe where one has been hanging out.
Great Blue Heron
 The black-crowned night heron pretended that it didn't see anything, no, nothing at all, and just waited it out.
Black Crowned Night Heron
 Other than that, there were the usual suspects.  Photogenic ducks, assorted woodpeckers and nuthatches, and three soaring hawks.  A great walk, even though I should have worn my warmer boots!  :-)

Mallard

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Red-tailed Hawk

Wood Duck with Mallards

Today's big lesson with the camera: when wearing gloves, it is very easy to be manipulating the focus ring instead of the zoom.  As usual, when something is not working properly, the problem is most likely me, not the camera.  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment